Saturday, August 1, 2009

Do you know who I am? Good, neither do I.

Another lovely day at work. So, to distract myself, I think I'm going to talk about characters.

Senga started out as a character for an RP my dearest friend Jilly had created. Tucker was one of her many characters. And she has graciously let me use him for my novel. If it ever goes anywhere, I promised I'd pay for at least one vacation a year, plus a visit from me (if I don't already live near her by then). ANYWAY.

Senga has gone through many revampings, and facelifts over the past couple of years, but what I've tried to do is keep her personality and backstory essentially the same. She's gone from a witch to a Siren, and back to a witch, but nothing else has changed. The poor girl, no matter what sort of being I choose for her to be this week, is still the same vulnerable-but-still-kicking-ass-and-taking-names woman when it comes down to it. She wears designer clothes, and bakes cookies in Manolo Blahniks. But she's also the girl working at the video game store who plays Guitar Hero on expert just for fun. I think that's part of why Tucker loves her so much.

And yes, she's fashioned after me a little. But all of my characters have a little of me in them. I like living through them. But there's a fine line between that and Mary Sue-ing. Which is a line that should NEVER be crossed. It's very easy to cross that line, and part of the challenge is keeping yourself on the other side of that line. Mary Sues are characters that are TOO perfect. Good and interesting characters should have flaws, and should work through the main conflict despite those flaws. Mary Sues don't go through any sort of growth throughout the story. Examples of Mary Sues can be found in poorly written fanfic, and Twilight.

I'm not a fan of Twilight, and yes, I have read them all. The only lesson I learned from that book series is: If that woman can get published, then SO CAN I GODDAMMIT.

Moving on.

In future entries, I'll talk about the other characters in the novel I'm working on. If ya'll are interested. But, it's 3:30 in the morning and I have to pee and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment